“BLESSED ARE THE POOR IN SPIRIT”
Series: “Revolutionary Living: The Sermon on the Mount”
Pastor Rusty Russell
New Day Christian Church, Port Charlotte, FL
June 29-30, 2019
A. Introduction to the series, “Revolutionary Living” [Mat 5:1-2 NIV] 1 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them. He said:
The next three chapters are “The Sermon on the Mount.”
NOTE: “Yoke” of a new rabbi.
How familiar are you with the Sermon on the Mount?
• Blessed are the poor in ________.
• You are the light of the _______.
• Turn the other _______.
• Don’t let your left hand know what your _____ _____ is doing.
• Our father in heaven hallowed be your ______.
• You cannot serve God and _______.
• Seek first his kingdom and his _____________.
• Do not judge or you too will be _______.
• Ask and you shall _______.
• Do to others as you would have them _____ __ _____.
• Take the narrow _______.
ILLUS: “A house divided against itself will not stand.”
Healing will come when every Christian __________________ ________________________.
B. Introduction to the Beatitudes
[Mat 5:3-12 NIV] 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for
theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are those
who mourn, for they will be comforted. 5 Blessed are the
meek, for they will inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are those
who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be
filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown
mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see
God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be
called children of God. 10 Blessed are those who are
persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the
kingdom of heaven. 11 “Blessed are you when people
insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil
against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad,
because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same
way they persecuted the prophets who were before
I. OBSERVATIONS: UNDERSTANDING THE SCRIPTURE
Notice how each beatitude is organized:
A. The Blessing.
A good translation for the word “blessed” is ____________.
B. The Characteristic.
Notice the paradox in each beatitude: “Happy are the suffering.”
1) The poor in spirit.
2) Those who mourn.
3) The meek. (Strength under control)
4) Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.
5) The merciful. (Opposite of wrath)
6) The pure in heart.
7) The peacemakers.
8) The persecuted. (Caveat: “… because of righteousness.”)
9) Those who are persecuted because of me.
C. The reward.
1) The poor in spirit… theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
2) Those who mourn… will be comforted.
3) The meek… will inherit the earth.
4) Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness… will be filled.
5) The merciful… will be shown mercy.
6) The pure in heart… will see God.
7) The peacemakers… will be called children of God.
8) The persecuted… theirs is the kingdom of heaven
9) The persecuted because of me… great is reward in heaven.
II. APPLICATIONS: APPLYING THE SCRIPTURE
A. Empty yourself.
– poor in spirit
B. Pursue God.
– hunger and thirst for righteousness
– merciful (seeking mercy of God)
– pure in heart
“You can have as much of God as you want.” Pastor A.W. Tozier.
C. Get along with other people.
– Persecuted for righteousness
– Persecuted because of Jesus
A. DAVID PLATT
“I somehow managed to be labeled in Washington both a
far-right-wing conservative and a far-left-wing liberal in less
than twenty-four hours. That is not easy to do!”
“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”
“Meekness calmly and joyfully trusts in the justice of God.
You don’t have to defend yourself, you don’t have to get all
up in arms, worry, fret.”
“We should be ‘quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to
“The meek are free from defending themselves and free
from fretting amidst the turmoil of this world.”
B. OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD
1) If you have been a Christian a while, you know following the
yoke of Jesus means daily surrender, daily being “poor in spirit.”
2) Maybe you’re on the verge of coming to God. This is the first
step. Choose today to give up your pursuit of self. Be poor in
spirit, mourn your sin, be humble before him, hunger for him, let
him purify your heart and reconcile your relationships.